Class Speaker/Field Trip - Grade 2 Supplementary Activity
These activities encourage students to engage in their communities (school and neighborhood) and develop the skills, knowledge, and behavior to be responsible and contributing citizens.
While we suggest Second Grade as the recommended grade level for this activity, you can adapt it to suit the needs and interests of your class.
| In this activity, students invite a community member to speak to the class or take a field trip to a local business. The purpose of this activity is to:
|| To complete this activity, the following supplies are needed:
|In-App My Files|
|Students upload a photo of the class family tree and family member story, along with a video of their presentation|
- Brainstorm possible class speakers or local field trip destinations with your class. Poll your class to understand their interests, and have students tally the results.
- Send a the Parent/Guardian Class Speaker Letter home with students to help recruit class speakers.
- If you choose a school trip, be sure to incorporate learning about career paths, occupations, and the business or organization’s impact on the community into the day’s activities.
- After listening to a speaker or visiting a local workplace, ask students to draw a picture of themselves in a job they learned about. Have them identify key career information, such as where they’re working or tools they’re using. Ask them to think about what they like about the job and what they don’t like.
- Don’t forget to have students write and send thank-you letters!