Xello can be added as an external application within Canvas for the purposes of SSO.
Your Onboarding Manager will provide you with two pieces of information to be used in a later step: a consumer key and a shared secret. The consumer key is our unique identifier for your Canvas implementation, while the shared secret is used to ensure that all communication sent from Canvas to Xello are secure. Both pieces of information are unique to your implementation and are known only by Xello and your Canvas administrator.
In this article:
- Set up the Xello App in Canvas
- Add Xello to a Course Module
- Add Xello to a Page (Optional)
- Test Xello as a Student
Set Up the Xello App in Canvas
Before Xello can be added to any courses, the app must be set up in Canvas by following these instructions:
- From the main dashboard, click one of the courses.
- Click the Settings link and then the Apps sub-link. Next, click View App Configurations.
- You’ll be taken to an External Apps page that lists all installed third-party applications. To add Xello, click the + App button.
- You’ll now be prompted to enter configuration details. The settings should be as follows:
|Configuration Type||Manual Entry|
|Consumer Key||(the consumer key that was sent to you via email)|
|Share Secret||(the shared secret that was sent to you via email)|
|Launch URL||https://auth.xello.world/LTI (this URL is case sensitive)|
|Privacy||Public (very important!)|
|Description||Xello prepares people for their successful future by helping them define and plan their own unique journey. With Xello, users build self-knowledge, explore their options, and create an actionable plan.|
Once the configuration information has been entered, click Submit in the bottom right of the window. You should now see the Xello application listed in the External Apps page. Once this is complete, can add the Xello app to a course module.
Add Xello to a Course Module
- From the course you want Xello to be accessible from, click the Modules link and then the + Module button in the top right corner of the screen.
- Name the module Xello. You should now see the Xello module listed.
- Add one item to the module by clicking on the + button.
- A window will prompt you for information on which item to add. Choose External Tool from the first drop-down menu, then click the Xello link. This will automatically populate the URL and Page Name, which can be left as-is. Make sure you check the Load in a new tab checkbox, as Xello cannot be run in an iFrame.
- Next, both the module and item need to be published so students can see it. Click the Publish icon on the module. Then click the Publish icon on the item. You’ll be able to tell that the module and the item are published because the “publish” icons should both be green.
Add Xello to a Page (Optional)
This section is completely optional. If you’d like the Xello app to appear on any custom pages, please follow these steps:
- From the Pages link, click the + Page button.
- Enter a name for the page and any HTML or page content. To add a link to the Xello module, click the Modules button to the right of the screen and click the Xello link to insert the link on the page. When you’re finished, click Save and Publish.
Test Xello as a Student
Once Xello has been set up in Canvas, it’s time to test it as a student:
- Log in to Canvas as a real student (someone who exists in your SIS and has been data-integrated into Xello).
- Click the course that contains the Xello module.
- Click the Modules link. Xello is listed as one of the modules. Click the link.
- Click Load Xello in a new window to be taken into Xello without having to enter a username or password.
If you run into difficulties or want a support technician to walk you through the above setup, please let your Onboarding Manager know and we’ll be more than happy to arrange a screen sharing session.