Xello integrates seamlessly with PowerSchool by allowing SSO for students directly from within the PowerSchool Student Portal.
In this Article:
- Add the Xello Plugin to PowerSchool
- Adjust the Visibility of the Sign Into Xello Link
- Update the Xello SSO Plugin in PowerSchool
- Troubleshoot PowerSchool SSO Issues
Add the Xello SSO Plugin to PowerSchool
To set up the plugin:
- The Xello PowerSchool plugin is a .XML file to be downloaded from this URL: https://auth.xello.world/xml/powerschool-openid-xello-plugin.xml. Right-click anywhere on the page, and click Save As to save the file to a folder on your computer.
- Log in to the PowerSchool Admin Portal and click Settings.
- Near the bottom of the page, click System Settings then select Plugin Management Configuration.
- Click Install followed by Choose File.
- Select the saved plugin file from Step 2 and click Open.
- Click Install.
- The plugin will be installed but not enabled. To enable the plugin, find the Sign Into Xello link and click the checkbox to the right of it.
- You’ll be presented with a notice from PowerSchool; once you’ve read the notice, click the Enable button.
- Complete a test as a student to make sure they can login.
Adjust the Visibility of the Sign Into Xello Link
Once you have installed the Xello SSO Plugin, students will be able to see a Sign Into Xello link in the student portal by default. You can adjust school visibility by following these steps:
- From the Plugin Management Configuration page, click the Sign Into Xello link.
- Click Link Details.
- Near the bottom of the page, find the section entitled Student Portal with a label indicating how many schools the SSO link is displayed in. If you want to add or remove the link from specific schools, click Modify.
- After clicking Modify, enable Xello SSO at schools by selecting the school(s) from the listbox on the left of screen, then clicking the > button to move them to the right. You can remove the SSO link from schools by selecting the appropriate schools from the right textbox and clicking the < button. You can enable the link in every school by clicking the >> button, or remove the link from every school by clicking the << button.
- Click Submit when the schools are correctly organized based on your district’s SSO requirements.
- Once the Xello SSO plugin has been installed, you can test it by logging in to PowerSchool with a student account. Look for the icon with a square and an arrow at the top right of the screen. Click this icon to see a list of applications and look for the Sign Into Xello link. Click this link to be immediately taken to Xello without having to log in again.
Update the Xello SSO Plugin in PowerSchool
If you need to update the Xello SSO plugin, it's a similar process to a first-time installation with the exception of a few clicks.
- From the Plugin Management Configuration page in PowerSchool, click the Sign into Xello link.
- Click Update.
- Click Choose File and find the Xello plugin file. Click Open, then click Submit.
- You may see a warning about the plugin version. This warning appears whenever you’re updating a plugin in which the version hasn’t changed. In this case, you can click Submit a second time to continue with the update.
- You’ll be presented with a notice from PowerSchool. Once you’ve read the notice, click the Enable button. The plugin will now be updated and enabled automatically.
Troubleshoot PowerSchool SSO Issues
Some districts experience issues after a PowerSchool version upgrade whereby students can no longer see the Sign into Xello link. You can confirm the existence of this issue by clicking the link from inside the Plugin Management Configuration page and then clicking Single Sign-On Settings.
If you receive a PowerSchool error message, you'll need to reinstall your plugin by following the above steps: Update the SSO Xello Plugin.
Error 500 When Students Try to Initiate SSO
Sometimes when a student clicks the Sign in to Xello link, they’re presented with an HTTP Status 500 error in PowerSchool. This type of error means something unexpected happened in PowerSchool, so Xello has limited ability to troubleshoot. We recommend reaching out to PowerSchool technical support for assistance.
“Sign into Xello" Link Not Visible to Students
If students at specific schools are unable to see the Sign into Xello link, please see the Adjust Visibility of Sign Into Xello section above.