Add a Prerequisite to a Course
Course rules are used to automatically validate students’ course selections, ensuring that prerequisites, mark thresholds, and other conditions are met, including the ability to add prerequisites to a course.
When a prerequisite is added to a course, the student must have completed the specified course first. A Red Alert will show if they have not completed the prerequisite. For more information on alerts, check out Course Planner Alerts.
To add a prerequisite to a course:
- From your Educator Account, under Features, click Courses & Diplomas.
- From the Courses & Diplomas page, click Courses.
- Either browse or search available courses to find and click the course you want to add the prerequisite to.
- From the course's page, click the Rules tab and from the drop-down menu titled Select a rule to add to this course, select Prerequisite/Minimum Grade.
- Search for the course(s) to be added and click the course name in the search results.
- You can also set a Required Minimum Grade or a Recommended Minimum Grade.
- When finished, click Save.
- When you set a Required Minimum Grade, students will not be able to submit their plans if they didn’t achieve that grade in the prerequisite course. An educator can override this requirement to allow students to submit their plan without the proper prerequisite.
- When you set a Recommended Minimum Grade, students will see a note in their plan about the recommended grade in the prerequisite course, but they’ll still be able to submit their plans if they didn’t achieve that grade.