Build the data export files in your SIS in a .txt or .csv format. We recommend building and sending the student data files first so we can get students in Xello as quickly as possible. You can then send us the course data files to set up course planning.
File Structure Notes
- The files should be pipe delimited (|), where the separating character is a pipe (|) with no spaces before or after. Comma delimited .csv files are also accepted as long as commas are not used in the data.
- For each file, include the column names as the first line and in the order indicated for each file type.
- Each transfer should contain only one set of files for all schools.
- Name each file as indicated for each file type, and always keep these file and field names the same.
Automating Subsequent Exports
After data export files are built, we recommend automating subsequent exports on a daily basis. Districts have the option of automated transfers if they're capable of SFTP transfers to our servers. We welcome the opportunity to work with your IT department or SIS vendor to assist in this process.
Files can be moved up to our servers nightly, weekly, or monthly.
- Our updates begin nightly at 8 p.m.
- Files must be named exactly as indicated in Create Student Data Files and Create Course Data Files.
- Files can overwrite the previous transfer on our SFTP servers. Inactive files are periodically deleted.