Students use both Common App and Xello to help track their college applications. For colleges that work with Common App, students send requests to educators to send application forms on their behalf. They request a counselor send their counselor forms, and a teacher send a teacher evaluation.
They'll continue to complete the rest of their application tasks directly in Common App, including building out their profile, creating the My Colleges list, and submitting the college application.
Once students have synced their accounts, the colleges they save in Common App will show in Xello. Students will also see all the colleges that use Common App by the logo next to the college name. By clicking on one of these schools, they can begin sending a request to an educator.
FERPA Release Authorization
How students complete the FERPA release authorization:
- Students sign in to Common App.
- They click the Common App tab. From the left menu, they click Profile and then Education to complete the required fields.
- They click the College Search tab, and add at least one college they plan to apply to.
- From the My Colleges tab, they open one of their saved colleges. From the left menu, they click Questions and fill out their Preferred Start Term.
- In the left menu, they click Recommenders and FERPA. They read and complete the FERPA Release Authorization form.
Integrate with Xello
Once they've signed the FERPA Release Authorization, students can connect their Xello account to Common App.
How students integrate their Common App account with Xello:
- From their dashboard, under Goals & Plans, students click College Planning.
- They click View my applications to see their full list of colleges they’re tracking.
- At the top of the page, in the banner with the Common App logo, the student clicks Connect.
- A pop-up will inform them they may need to redo tasks they’ve previously completed. This could include assigning a counselor or a requesting a teacher evaluation.
- The Common App login page opens.
- Once they’ve successfully logged into Common App, they’re redirected back to the page they left in Xello.
- The banner at the top of the page now states the accounts are connected.
PDFCommon App guide
PDFStudent guide for Common App and Xello
PDFCommon App teacher recommender guide
WalkthroughWalkthroughCommon App Integration Walkthrough
PDFCommon App annual tasks
A guide to help admin and counselors with wind-down tasks before the end of the Common App school year and start-up tasks before the next.
Recorded WEbinarRecorded WebinarXello and Common App 101
Short VideoShort VideoLinking Your Common App to Xello
A student-facing video covering how students link their Common App account with Xello (also available in Spanish).
Short VideoShort VideoRequesting Your Documents for Common App
A student-facing short video that walks through how to request documents for Common App in Xello (also available in Spanish).
Short VideoShort VideoXello's Common App Integration for Counselors
A short video to walk counselors through how to integrate and begin completing tasks for Common App in Xello.
Short VideoShort VideoCommon App Teacher Recommender Through Xello
A quick overview of how teachers complete teacher evaluations for students applying to Common App colleges.