In Xello, students use the College Planning tool to create a tracker that provides them with a checklist for each application. The checklist allows students to create, monitor, and mark as complete the various tasks they need for each of their college applications. They can also request a recommendation letter or their transcript be sent, directly from the checklist.
Create a College Application Tracker
The first thing a student must do to track their tasks, view their deadlines, request transcripts and recommendation letters be sent, is build an application tracker for each institution they’re applying to.
How students create a College Applications tracker:
- From their Student Dashboard, under Goals & Plans, students click College Planning.
- Under College Applications, they click Create Your First Application.
- They search for the institution and click Select, then Next to add details.
- They enter their admission type and the application deadline.
- To finish building the application tracker they click Create.
- The next page is the profile of the application, which includes the deadline and application checklist.
Add or Create Tasks
Once the college application tracker has been created, students are provided with an Application Checklist with mandatory requirements. In rare cases where the institution doesn't have any requirements listed, or when a student's application process is unique, they can add requirements or their own custom tasks to track.
How students add or create a task:
- From the institution's application tracker, the student clicks Add Task.
- In the Add Task window, they click the Select a Task dropdown and select a suggested one, or click Create Custom Task.
- If creating their own, they're required to give their task a name.
Add or Edit Due Dates
Students can add or edit a due date on any of their tasks, including both mandatory and custom tasks.
How students add or edit a due date on a task:
- From the institution's application tracker, they find the task where they'd like to add a due date.
- They click the Options dropdown and select Add Due Date.
Once they choose the correct date, they click Save.
- The due date will now show in the same line as the task.
Mark as Complete
To give students full control and freedom over their own application tracker, they can mark as complete any of the tasks in their Application Checklist. They use the same function to reopen a task.
How students change a task's completion status:
- From the institution's application tracker, under the Application Checklist, they find the task where they'd like to change the completion status.
- To the right, they click the Options dropdown and select Mark as Complete.
- By following the same steps, the student can reverse their action when they click Reopen Task.
Delete an Application
If a student creates an application tracker in Xello and decides they no longer wish to track the application, or if they made a mistake in creating the tracker, they can opt to delete it.
How students delete an application:
- From the correct institution, at the bottom of the Application Checklist, students click the link Delete Application.
- They need to confirm that they understand:
- All tasks will be deleted and any progress made will be lost, and
- They will no longer be able to view or track requests
- That institution's application will be removed from the student's list of applications.