Once a student has begun to track a college application in Xello, they have the option to request a referrer write a recommendation letter to be sent to the institution if it's required for the application.
When the student has requested the recommendation letter, the referrer will receive an email with a personal note the student has written, along with an attached resume they may have opted to include. Instructions for next steps will be included in referrer’s email.
Students can request multiple recommendation letters.
Request a Recommendation Letter
How students request a recommendation letter:
- From their Student Dashboard, under Goals & Plans, students click College Planning.
- Under College Applications, they select the institution to which they’d like a letter sent.
- If the institution isn't visible at the top of the list, they click View My Applications to open their full list of college applications.
- Helpful tips are included in the Need Help? section to foster ideas on what to include in the note.
- Students can opt to attach a resume or brag sheet.
Edit a Due Date to the Request
Each request for a Recommendation Letter includes a due date. Due dates are automatically added based on the application deadline, but students can also add a custom date. This due date will show on their Application Checklist, on your Educator Tools under Recommendation Letters, and directly in the letter for the referrer. This gives students greater freedom and control over their own application tracking process.
How students add a custom due date to a request:
- From the correct institution, under the Application Checklist, they find Recommendation Letters.
- When students make a request, the application deadline is automatically added as the due date for the letter.
- To the right, they click Options and select Edit due date to add a new date.
- They select a date and click Save.
- The due date shows in the same line as Recommendation Letters on their Application Checklist, in the letter sent to the referrer, and in your Educator Tools.