The National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) is our partner for sending electronic documents to colleges. Most colleges are part of the NSC network, but some are not. These are considered Out-of-Network and require an educator to email the completed Recommendation Letter to the institution.
If a college is part of the NSC network, the letter will be automatically sent to the institution when the referrer uploads their recommendation.
If the college is not part of the network, the letter is emailed through Xello. When a letter has been completed by the referrer and it’s ready to be sent to the institution, the status on the student’s recommendation letter will state Ready to send with the date the referrer submitted it.
To make sending the letters easier and more accurate, Xello has collected the Transcript and Admission office email addresses for many out-of-network schools. The addresses were sourced directly from the college's website.
To send a recommendation letter to the institution:
- From your Educator account, click Features and select College Planning.
- Or, from your dashboard, click the College Planning card.
- Next to Recommendation letters, click Manage.
- On the Requests tab, locate the student with the letter that’s ready to send.
- To the far right of the student name, click the three dot icon and select Send to Institution by Email.
- Select or enter the institution’s email address and click Send.
- A banner at the top of the screen indicates the recommendation letter was sent.